Browse this list of campus and community resources that can help you access free or low-cost shelter/housing, as well as housing and utility financial support.

COVID-19 Update for Housing & Utilities:

There is no longer any eviction protection present at the state or federal level. Information on resources to pursue if you are experiencing an eviction are listed on the National Low Income Housing Coalition website

The Kansas Housing Corp has implemented the Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance (KERA) Program to help renters behind on their rent payments due to COVID-19 avoid eviction. This program can also help with utilities and internet payments. They assist by providing funding directly to your landlord or service provider to help pay past due rent or utilities/internet. Approved applicants are eligible for up to 12 months of assistance. You can find information and the application for the program funding on the Kansas Housing Corp website

If you do not live in Kansas, you can find other state and local emergency rental assistance programs listed at the National Low Income Housing Coalition website.

If you are encountering legal issues regarding eviction or utility services, please pursue legal guidance - there are legal resources listed on our website.

If you need assistance navigating payment, service or eviction obstacles that you might be having with your landlord or utility providers due to the COVID-19 outbreak, please reach out to the Student Support & Case Management Office to speak with a Case Manager about your situation.  Phone: 785-864-4060   Email: studentaffairs@ku.edu

KU Campus Resources

  • KU Student Housing

    KU Student Housing serves more than 5,000 students in a variety of campus living environments and communities consisting of a variety of apartments, cooperative houses, and residence halls. Their mission is to build learning-centered communities through individual support and respect.

  • On-Campus Housing Scholarships

    Student Housing awards more than $275,000 in scholarship funds to returning residents annually. Residents may choose from nearly 50 scholarship opportunities.

Community Resources

  • East Central Kansas Economic Opportunity Corporation (ECKAN)

    ECKAN is a community action agency assisting low-income persons with housing resources and other services. ECKAN's housing services include case management to assist in maintaining independent living, housing choice vouchers, rental housing, and weatherization assistance.

  • Emergency Broadband Benefit

    The Emergency Broadband Benefit is an FCC program to help families and households struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Emergency Broadband Benefit will provide a per month discount towards broadband service for eligible households. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers.

  • FindEnergy.com Utility Bill Assistance

    FindEnergy.com, a website that provides information on electricity data, has a feature that enables individuals who require assistance to enter their zip code and locate various government and charity programs that offer aid for utility bills within their locality. While the eligibility criteria for these programs may differ, utilizing this tool can serve as an initial step to identify the appropriate organizations to contact if you need assistance. You can enter your zip code at https://findenergy.com/utility-bill-assistance/

  • Internet Services

    Through this link you will find a comprehensive list of financial assistance and Internet Service programs for eligible families and individuals. The guide will allow you to learn about resources available during COVID-19, how to apply for low-income internet service, and how to qualify for free or discounted computers, mobile plans and phones.

  • Kansas Housing Corp

    The Kansas Housing Corp is a non-profit, public corporation that helps Kansans access safe, affordable housing and serves as the primary administrator of federal housing programs in the state. They provide resources for homeowners, renters, and those who are at risk of or experiencing homelessness. During the Covid-19 pandemic, they are also providing emergency rental assistance through the KERA program.

  • Lawrence Community Shelter

    The Lawrence Community Shelter is the only emergency homeless shelter serving Lawrence and the Douglas County Kansas. They offer immediate temporary shelter, as well as the opportunity to apply for longer term housing case management. They also provide connection to a variety of resources throughout the Lawrence Community.

  • Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority

    The Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority (LDCHA) provides housing programs, such as vouchers, transitional housing, and section 8 housing, for various groups based on need. Individuals can find more information, eligibility criteria, and help with the housing application on the LDCHA website.

  • Lawrence Family Promise

    Lawrence Family Promise is a program that provides counseling and assistance for families with children that are in need of shelter/housing.

  • Lawrence Family Support Center

    The Lawrence Family Support Center is available to low-income individuals and families who need food, or assistance with basic utility payments, housing, clothing or medical prescriptions. All services are free and are based on need. The center also offers free financial education and tax preparation.

  • Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)

    The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a Federally funded program that helps eligible households pay a portion of their home energy costs by providing a one-time per year benefit.

  • People's Owned and Operated Collective House (POOCH)

    POOCH is a nonprofit, cooperative housing organization comprised of three houses that provide low-rate rent.

  • Salvation Army

    The Salvation Army provides a variety of resources to individuals and families in need, including housing resources such as case management towards self-sufficiency and independent living, utility assistance programs, and emergency resources during natural/man-made disasters .

  • The Willow Domestic Violence Care Center

    The Willow Domestic Violence Center builds safer communities through shelter, services, and support to survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking in Douglas, Franklin, and Jefferson counties. All services are free to county residents.

  • United Way Call 211

    You can locate utility and housing assistance programs in your area by dialing 211 in the state of Kansas.

  • KCC Cold Weather Rule

    The publicly-regulated utilities are required by the KCC to follow certain rules, specifically the Cold Weather Rule, before disconnecting qualifying customers between November 1 and March 31.